Guide to How to Jump Start a Car
Can’t start your vehicle? You will most likely need to jump start your car battery. This quick guide from Wolfchase Nissan offers instructions and tips on how to properly jump start a car. When your battery on your Nissan starts to die, visit our service center near Cordova for a replacement.
The Right Way to Jump Start a Car
You can either contact a jump start service like AAA or attempt a jump start yourself. If you go the DIY option, you will need another vehicle and a set of jumper cables. Once you’ve got that settled, follow these steps:
- Park the car with the good battery park facing the vehicle that won’t start, then make sure that vehicle is turned off. Check to make sure both parking brakes are engaged.
- Open the hoods of both vehicles and find the batteries. You may need to remove a plastic hood to expose the battery terminals.
- Locate the positive and negative terminals and make sure they’re clean and free of any corrosion.
- Place the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- For the final clamp, connect it to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once everything is securely fastened, start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery first, then the one with the dead battery.
Additional Battery Tips and Tricks
In the vent your car won’t start, you may need your battery replaced or experiencing a more serious issue. Take these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
- If you only hear a clicking sound when you attempt to start your vehicle, the starter might not be functioning. Schedule service at Wolfchase Nissan near Memphis for a replacement.
- If the engine fails to turn over, but the electrical systems of the car turn on then the problem could be a variety of issues. The ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse could be the problem. It’s worth bringing your vehicle to a service center so they can diagnose the issue.
- Make sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after getting the jump to allow the battery to fully recharged.
Get Service for Your Nissan at Wolfchase Nissan
Whether you need help with a new battery, learning the color of transmission fluid, need new tires, or you want to know why your vehicle is leaking water, the service center at Wolfchase Nissan can help. Our service center is located just a short trip from Germantown, so stop by today. Contact our Nissan service center today if you have questions about when to replace spark plugs, when you need to replace your battery, or even where to find the best Memphis BBQ.
More From Wolfchase Nissan
The reviews are in! Everyday Arlington drivers and critics alike have weighed in on the 2019 Nissan Altima, and they’ve sung plenty of praise to this affordable, fuel-efficient sedan. Expert reviews highlight the performance, sporty design, and available all-wheel drive offered by the new Altima. Will you agree with what they have to say? Read…
The ultra-sporty 2019 Nissan Altima SR is laden with advanced standard features, but it’s the available add-on features that will really take your Arlington commutes to the next level. Explore the new Nissan Altima SR standard and available features to get a better idea of how you’d like to customize your Altima SR at Wolfchase Nissan…
The 2019 Nissan Rogue gas mileage is 26 mpg city and 33 mpg highway*, offering greater fuel efficiency than competitors like the Honda CR-V. Arlington drivers looking for an affordable, efficient SUV should consider the 2019 Nissan Rogue. With competitive fuel economy and two hybrid options, you’ll be able to go further without having to…